Pipper read somewhere—but she’s been so busy she can’t remember where—that peanut butter does not contain hydrogenated oil or sugar. So these dog treats are more healthful than many other kinds that have fatty oils or sugar (like Bogus Biscuits). Maybe having an extra one of these Peanut Butter Wonderbars wouldn’t be over-the-top!
1 1/2 cups peanuts
1 tablespoon peanut oil
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup nonfat milk
Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small food process, combine the peanuts and oil. Grind until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
- In another bowl, combine the peanut butter and milk.
- In the bowl of a KitchenAid or food processor, add the milk and peanut butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well until forming a ball. But don’t overwork.
- On a floured surface, roll out to 1/4″ thick.
- Cut out using cookie cutters.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool and store in air tight container.
Do you have a recipe for a healthy dog treat you can share. Please share in our comments.